Starry-eyed Optimism

In a grandiose attempt to improve both myself and my world, I've hopped onto the 101/1001 bandwagon. Marvel as I attempt to complete 101 goals in 1001 days. I will do it, if not through sheer determination, but because of the entertainment factor.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

#85: Move Out of the U.P.

The hardest thing about moving wasn't the packing up of all of my things or the logistics of moving two girls from two different areas to one very new, very scary bigger city or even the eight hours of driving behind a U-Haul. The hardest thing about moving out of the U.P. was saying goodbye.

It took three tries before I could semi-successfully say farewell to my sister. The sheer enormity of hugging her for what could be the last time in a very long time hit me as I drove along the lakeshore of Lake Superior. I bawled my way through the drive on US 41 and US 2.

I didn't realize it would be so hard.

I miss being close to a massive body of water. I miss being five minutes from NMU. I miss going anywhere and recognizing at least five people from classes or events.

The move was well-worth it as I have a good job, a small but firm circle of friends and a fabulous apartment in a quiet area of town. But this goal proved to be my hardest yet as I didn't realize how difficult it would be to leave the only area I've ever known as home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home